Tuesday, March 13, 2012

on writing - and re-writing and editing

Because I jammed out my first Silverton Cozy Mystery in a month, it's a mess. Everyday I sat down and cranked out my 1500 words, but often I didn't remember what had come before. So it jumps around and parts are disconnected, or simply need a little place and time introduction (as my friend "editor" has told me).

I didn't want to spend more than a month re-writing. After all, I read about writers who NEVER re-write and ones who get novels out in a month, or 2, or 3. Then I read some more about one of the writer's who supposedly didn't rewrite, and it turns out that he started with short stories and did one a week. But that story was written the first day of the week, and re-written the days following and submitted for publication at the end of the week.

(Ray Bradbury, such a great guy, I hope you watched the videos of him talking that I posted, or look him up on YouTube.)

Now I've started the second Cozy (both of them read as much like Chick-Lit as mystery). Because I am too impatient and want to get on with the fun part...creative writing. Not re-working what I've already done. But it's necessary. I've pawned the draft off on friends and now am going to the junior college to see if I can find a poor and grateful student to work it for me.


photo is writing on glass in a group study room in the Swem Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome! Tell us about your reading, watching, books or writing too.